SEN Information Report

This report explains how we identify and support children with special educational needs at Park Road Community Primary School.  More detailed information can be found in our school SEN Policy that is also available on this website, however, if you would like to discuss any of the information included in this report, or in the school SEN Policy, please contact Nicky Parkinson (Head teacher) or Kathryn Quigley (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) via the school office.

Which special educational needs can the school provide for?

At Park Road Primary School, with the support of outside agencies providing specialist advice when required, we aim to meet the needs of all children who enter our school.  We are currently providing for children who have special educational needs arising from dyslexia, cognition and learning, speech and language, visual and hearing impairments, autistic spectrum, sensory processing and specific medical conditions.

If my child has, or develops, a special educational need how will it be identified?

The first member of staff to recognise that your child may have a special educational need is usually your child’s class teacher.  Teaching staff receive regular training on the identification of specific needs. They use this information, together with continual assessment of your child’s rates and patterns of progress, plus any information provided by yourselves, to identify any concerns that may arise.  Should your child’s class teacher become concerned about your child in any way, they will speak to you and the school’s Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo).

How will the school meet my child’s needs?

The school follows the new statutory guidelines outlined in the new Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014.  This means that, in discussion with you and with your permission, we will start the process of documenting your child’s needs and how we intend to meet them within the school.  In this school, for this purpose, we currently use Pupil Support Plans (PSPs).  The PSPs are written by your child’s class teacher with yourself, your child and sometimes the SENCo.  The PSP includes information about what your child is good at, what is important to / important for your child, the short term targets for your child’s progress, the support in place to help achieve those targets and how you can help your child.

Extra support often takes the form of specific working strategies within the classroom.  Also, small group work or individual support, either within or outside of the classroom, may be timetabled as appropriate.  Any work undertaken outside of the classroom is overseen by the class teachers and implemented by teaching assistants fully trained to deliver that specific area of support.  Wherever possible, the classroom environment is adapted to meet the needs of individual children within the whole class setting.  This includes for example, quiet areas, whole class visual timetables, changing the background colour of interactive whiteboards and the use of ICT software.

What if the school needs more expertise to support my child?

Your child’s progress, and how this is recorded in the PSP, is continually being monitored and is reviewed at least termly.  If the support being offered does not seem to be sufficient to meet your child’s needs, the school will discuss with you the possibility of requesting advice from agencies/services outside of the school.  This could include for example, a specialist teacher, educational psychologist, speech and language therapist or a pediatrician.  In a few cases, the SENCo may discuss with you the possibility of asking the Local Authority to recognise your child’s needs in a formal assessment / document called an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).  The process and implications for this will be fully discussed with you and your views will be paramount.  Each child and family’s needs are different and require individual consideration.

What happens when my child moves to another school?

All moves to and from other schools / settings are managed by the school to ensure that transition for your child is as smooth as possible. If a child comes to us from another school or a pre-school / nursery, every effort is made to liaise with that setting before your child arrives and any existing paperwork is requested.  Where appropriate, school staff will visit the previous setting and extra visits to Park Road can be arranged for your child before the transition formally takes place.  If your child moves from Park Road to a different setting, we liaise as much as possible with the new setting and pass on all the records of support your child has received whilst attending our school.  Extra visits and activities are arranged for those who may need extra support when moving to high school.

Useful Websites:

SEN Documents

Updated: 12/06/2020 206 KB
Updated: 12/06/2020 377 KB
Updated: 12/06/2020 372 KB
Updated: 12/06/2020 32 KB
Updated: 12/06/2020 829 KB
Updated: 12/06/2020 236 KB
Updated: 12/06/2020 250 KB
Updated: 12/06/2020 256 KB